Tuesday, June 20, 2006

A trip down the coast...

A couple of years ago, my folks moved down to a place called Victor harbor, which I like to refer to as God's waiting room. Average age in this town must be over 55, if not 60. As it is an hour or so away, and I am a busy man, I go down there pretty rarely, but yesterday I made an exception.
My old man has found his niche in the society down there pretty well...he wears socks with his sandals and all that, but he is also the local pirate DVD maker it would seem. He pulls this case out yesterday, looks around to make sure no one else has sneaked in, pops it open and goes "Now, you've got to keep this on the quiet...but take as many as you like, theres more where this came from." Never one to knock back free entertainment, I grabbed a handful and put in some requests for new titles.
I have no issue with the old man becoming a bootlegger, good luck to him, mans got to eat and all that, but I can't help but think that if the shoe were on the other foot, he would be kicking my ass.

As for my mother, she has become a lawn bowler...and anyone who has gone through the pain of a family member becoming a lawn bowler knows what I am going through. She talked for 33 minutes solid yesterday, without me or the old man saying a single word, about the game she had the day before and how she managed to pluck victory from the jaws of defeat all due to a late fading backhand (?)...the sooner dementia and she forgets who I am the better I think sometimes....

2 Comments:

At 7:45 PM , Blogger I Am Man I Am You. said...

Jeez mate you'd better keep and eye on that. Next time you go there your Dad will have a tattoo and be hanging out with a guy named "Crusher". As for the lawn bowls, well, you're on your won with that one.

 
At 2:29 PM , Blogger SkinFluteSymphony said...

If the old man gets his hair dyed and buys a convertible, I just may join him in the family business.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home