Thursday, July 06, 2006

Maybe it's just me....

I have many things in life I dislike...some have suggested therapy in the past, others suggest I should drink (use to, made matters worse), but one thing that seems to piss me off more than anything is suburban shopping malls. Granted they provide a service at times of need (see forgotten girlfriends birthday, fuck, best duck down to the local westfield and buy her some crap) and have done a grand service in supplying jobs to those who otherwise don't have the 'intangibles' for employment in the greater work force....but bottom line, they are all much of a muchance.

take my local westfield, marion. I guess around 200 shops, 2 levels, a 30 theatre cinema (like there is ever 30 movies out at one time that warrant having 30 theatres. Independant movies not included obviously, this is a Greater Union). Of this plethora of shopping options, I would estimate that at least 30% of them are womens clothing stores, ranging from Supre (including the 15 year old chicks working there till they can be lucky enough to get knocked up...then they don't have to work...ever again.) to the psuedo upmarket type place with a name that sounds more like a French main course. What gets me is that every time I go there, at least half a dozen of the 'up market' types of store, have changed names, or are now a shoe place (don't start me on that...) or is an empty store with a big sign out front making us aware that a new and exciting store will be here soon...more than likely just like the last one. As if this isn't enough to drive me to mass homicide, my next issue is women with prams.

What the fuck is the story with prams, stroller, pushers these days? Is it not bad enough to see women driving 4WD's big enough to carry a platoon into combat to drop the kids off to school in, we have to see them pushing these monsters around in the mall as well? I swear, one woman today had a pusher that had tyres on it that had dead set bigger knobbly bits on them than a mountain bike and the whole beast was at at least a metre and a half wide. As I was behind this woman in the line at freaken Medicare (another gripe...perhaps another time), I had time to assess the situation. There was this woman, who was all of 5'2", with this beast that looked like it could make it through kakadu, with a solid metre by a metre of 'baby space'...only to have a kid in there that took up not a quarter of this. All that space, tiny little child. Then as she is trying to reverse out of medicare as she finished her business, she gets all shitty at some old fella who didn't realise the convoy was coming through and hadn't moved away instantly. As if he shouldn't have known better...these women own the world, the rest of us are just tenants. I mean, she did carry that child around for 9 months, which played havoc with her social life, then she went through the pain of having a general so her golf addicted obstetrician could slice her up and be on the links by 10..maybe we as a society do owe her something....

3 Comments:

At 11:04 AM , Blogger I Am Man I Am You. said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:34 AM , Blogger I Am Man I Am You. said...

Indooroopilly Westfield is the same. And how can we forget the human zoo that is Grand Central in Toowoomba? I don't want to be the catalyst for a reign of anti-American posts, but the seppos really have it over us when it comes to malls. Orlando in particular.
As for mothers with prams, I want to know how they got that parking spot deal. Seriously. The perks should be reserved for folks who do the really amazing stuff. Like the people who invented curly fries. THAT is an incredible achievement.

 
At 7:14 PM , Blogger LaLa said...

What about the cultural void that was/is Village Fair/Garden Town? What about Wilsonton? Troglodyte Central. It's ugly.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home