Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Sometimes I wish I could just bloody conform...

don't get me wrong, Its not like I am a radical or anything, I am by all appearances a pretty standard 30 year old white guy, but....

I seem to have this need to go against the common opinion on almost everything...I would have been an outstanding debator for causes that no one wants to touch. I guess I can always see both sides of the story and feel I should become an advocate for the unpopular or unheard side more often than not...honestly, it shits me from time to time as it just makes me frustrated with people around me and their stupidity and narrow mindedness.

But what kills me the most is that I live in Adelaide, which is as much of an AFL town as you could possibly find, yet I honestly could not care less about the game or any of the teams in it. It is almost like living in Vatican city and being Muslim...it seems that the great conversation starter in Adelaide is "So you a Crows (Adelaide) or Power(Port Adelaide) man?" When I reply none of the above or any other team for that matter, I normally get a look of bewilderment mixed with disgust. Not having an AFL team here is almost like admitting you beat your kids (I would say wife, but that is more common than you think down here). Admittedly there was a time I kind of connected with the Crows a bit, when I lived a couple of thousand kilometres away and had forgotten about the narrow mindedness of the town.

I guess having been a rugby player as a kid didn't help my cause here, but what made it even more glaring to me was being out one night years ago with a few friends, when a couple of blokes started hanging shit on one of my friends, who was a small guy with glasses, AKA easy mark. Of course, me being the patron saint of hopeless causes, I tell these guys to fuck off, to which of course one of them does the chest bump thing to me, to which of course my response was to belt him and try and bite his mates nose off (not quite, but you get the idea). Long story short, bouncers come and kick me out (probably not entirely the wrong call), but let the two who started this stay around. Wasn't until the next day I found out that they were both Crows players at the time AKA protected species...since that day, my dislike has grown like a weed.

I seriously need to get out of this town.

Side note, when in New Zealand earlier this year, I fit right in...something in that perhaps.

4 Comments:

At 8:18 AM , Blogger I Am Man I Am You. said...

Footy is indeed one of the strangest sub cultures out there. What was it about NZ that made you feel at home?

 
At 8:58 AM , Blogger SkinFluteSymphony said...

Not sure, probably says something about me that it is generally a bit slower there and that really appealed to me.

 
At 7:38 PM , Blogger LaLa said...

I always like to like the things that other people hate, and I'm not really interested in the stuff that everyone else is.

Could not give a flying stuff about State of Origin or the bloody Sydney Swans.

 
At 11:21 AM , Blogger SkinFluteSymphony said...

I like sports, pretty much all sports, but would rather be playing them than watching, and I have never been able to invest myself so into being someone who lives and dies by how the team went on a weekend...

Since I stopped playing in 2004, I haven't watched more than a dozen games on TV since...although I do watch Origin.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home