Thursday, August 10, 2006

People really do amaze me...

Before I really start on this rant, I should explain a few things about the geography of Adelaide.

If you have never been here and only ever seen things on TV about it, you would assume that it is all leafy streets, churches, friendly people,some nifty coastline and wineries. Well that is true in parts. Apart from the wineries (which are either a couple of hours north of the city or an hour south), ther actual city isn't a bad looking place. I mean there is seriously bugger all going on here, particularly now it is footy season as it seems if you don't follow the AFL religiously, you are pretty much an outcast (of which it would appear I am one.), and there is a massive inferiority complex going on here, but other than that, most people in the eastern and western coastal suburbs seem to be pretty happy with there lot.

However, go about 30 minutes north and south of the city and you get what I like to call the bookends. Elizabeth/Salisbury in the north and Morphett Vale/Christies Beach/Noarlunga in the south are pretty much Adelaides answer to Blacktown, Mt Druitt and any other dodgy ass suburb where flannelette is king and spray on black jeans are tops.

Now, to the point of this. I live about 15 minutes from the southern bookend, and have occasion to go the shopping centre there for whatever reason from time to time. Today was one of those times. The place is called Colonnades and is the type of place where you want to have 2 steering wheel locks. One for the car, and one to carry around inside. True story, I know a guy that was onced chased and bashed by a group of other kids cause they wanted his turn on the display Nintendo in the Myers that use to be there. It use to have a pub there that it was said if you went to with a knife, you would be under prepared. It is pretty shitty.
Where I live isn't so bad, pretty much typical of a newish development where a whole whack of people figured they would build houses and apart froma few exceptions, it isn't too bad.

Anyhow today I go to Colonnades to trade some X box games I haven't played in a while at the games shop there. I swear I was in the centre for no more than 15 minutes total. Now I had come straight from the gym so I just had on a daggy jumper, old boardies and a cap, hardly dressed up and very much not standing out. I counted 12 dirty glances from guys ranging from skinny punk kid with rats tail to large heavily tattooed guy with shaved head and 4 looks from chicks ranging from girl for hire with substance abuse problem to mother with 4 kids under 5 (I admit, i did have to hold myself back a couple of times there). I still am not sure why this occured. Does this happen just to me? Do I walk around with a look of disdain and disgust on my face?? I know I shaved yesterday...was this an issue? Was my deodorant snmell foreign in these parts? I don't get it.

It is kind of frustrating though as this isn't the only time it has happened to me in my life. It seems that if I go out, it tends to happen also. I always figured I was a freindly enough looking chap and pretty unassuming...perhaps not.

4 Comments:

At 3:33 PM , Blogger LaLa said...

If I told you you are a modern day Dickens would you believe me? Such is the pictures you paint in my mind.

I live in Surry Hills so the local Shopping Centre (WITH 21 SPECIALITY STORES!) is filled with gay couples looking overly plucked and fit, hetero couples with their children Oscar, Felicia and Blue or Crystal Meth Junkies who are scratching unmentionable sores.

I have also heard that it is the most expensive Coles in NSW due to the large amount of theft.

My money's on Blue who is pissed at his parents for naming him after a colour.

Needless to say, we would rather drive to suburbia to get our groceries.

 
At 7:54 AM , Blogger SkinFluteSymphony said...

Thanks, I try....

What would be an interesting experiment would be to get all the Surry hills shoppers and all the Colonnades shoppers, place them in a medium sized centre with glass one way mirrors (so we can see in bu they can't see out...like in Big Brother) and watch the ensuing hilarity.

I am guessing the meth users would seek each other out from both sides, hoping they could help each other out. The gays would be chased by many toothless, ugg boot over tight jeans wearing, platinum blonde with 4 inches of regrowth 'women', scared they were trying to muscle in on their turf. And Blue would fit right in with the rest of the populous although would soon get bored of it as Blues folks will always buy him/her stuff, while the shoplifters around here play for keeps.
Either way, it would be a fantastic social experiment, and I am forwarding this post to programming at Channel 10.

 
At 10:47 AM , Blogger LaLa said...

Fuck yeah.

Let's do it.

 
At 3:51 PM , Blogger SkinFluteSymphony said...

I will draw up a model for presentation

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home